There are many of my family’s favorite salads, this is probably one of the top 3 out of all. They never got tired of the flavor and request me to make it once a week!
What they like about is the sauteed super thinly sliced onion that is almost creamy. They never ask for easy chop n’ toss type of salads, the little extra steps change the flavor dramatically and they definitely know that!
I usually cook up a huge bag full of dried chickpeas and freeze them in the 250ml jars with cooking liquid. 250ml of chickpeas is good amount for appetizer for family of four.
Chickpea Onion Carrot Apple Salad
(Vegan, Gluten Free)
- 250ml Jar full of Cooked Chickpeas
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 Carrot
- 1/2 Apple
- Smoked Paprika
- Black Pepper
- Sea Salt
- Lemon Juice
- Apple Vinegar
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Cut onion in half, and slice them super thin. ( I use the Japanese slicer “Benriner” which is used by many chefs in the world. The quality and the sharpness of knife products in Japan is very high.)
- Saute the thinly sliced onion with extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of sea salt till softened/ slightly browned.
- Drain chickpeas.
- Shred the peeled carrot and apple.
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl and toss.
- I like adding an extra sauteed onion on top of the salad.