Dashi is everything for Japanese cooking and here’s how to make the very basic Japanese Dashi from scratch.
The easiest method for beginners! (There are many other advanced way of making your own Dashi in Japanese culinary.) This recipe calls for only 2 cups for cooking base, you can multiply the amount to use for Udon noodle soup base.
- 2 Cups of Filtered Water
- 5cm of Kombu (Dried sea kelp leaves)
- A Handful of Katsuobushi (Bonito flakes) or 1/2 Cup of Dried Anchovies
- A Pinch of Sea Salt
- In a small sauce pan, place two cups of water, a pinch of sea salt, and Kombu. If you prefer to use dried anchovy to Katsuobushi, soak anchovies together.
- Soak for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Turn heat to medium.
- When water simmers, take Kombu out.
- When water boils, take Anchovies out, or throw Katsuobushi in.
- Let Katsuobushi cook for a minute or two, turn the heat off.
- When Katsuobush sunk down to the bottom of the pan, take them out.