Korean Makgeolli is well known milky white rice base alcohol beverage which has light sweet and fresh sour yogurt-ish flavor. I love the taste of it a lot but I am not very much of an alcohol drinker. If no alcohol, it’s a perfect daily probiotic drink for your gut health. Even better, it’s really really easy to make.
Different from Japanese Rice culture, Koji, this Korean culture, Nuruk, is much less pickier in terms of temperature control and ratio. You don’t need to worry to keep specific environment to make the culture work. Doesn’t it sound like representing characteristics of people, isn’t it? Ha, ha…
Here you go, preparation is only time for making small amount of rice porridge! Set it at night, you get to drink the freshest probiotic yogurt first thing in the morning.
(Vegan, Gluten Free)
- 1/2 Cup of White Rice
- 3 Cups of Water
- 1/2 Cup of Korean Rice Culture (Nuruk)
- Prepare rice porridge with rice and water.
- Cool the porridge down to 60°C.
- Mix the rice culture in and stir well.
- Ferment the mixture at 30°C to 60°C for 8~10 hours.
- Stir well again, that’s it!
- Store in air tight container in the refrigerator. Drink them in a few days recommended.