Korean Makgeolli is well known milky white rice base alcohol beverage, which has a light sweetness and fresh sour yogurt-ish flavor. I love the taste of it but I am not very much of alcohol drinker.
It’s a perfect vegan probiotic drink for your gut health if Makgeolli doesn’t contain alcohol. Yet there’re no such a “non-alcoholic” Makgeolli in Korea. So I make this healthy drink myself at home. Surprisingly it’s really really easy to make.
Different from Japanese Rice culture “Koji”, this Korean culture “Nuruk” doesn’t behave difficult in terms of temperature control and ratio for fermentation. You don’t need to worry too much of specific environment to make the culture work.
Do you want to try dealing with pickier and sweeter Japanese culture? Try the recipe ↓
Now, here we go, the easiest vegan yogurt drink ever!
Preparation is making small amount of rice porridge only! Set it at night, you get to drink the freshest vegan probiotic yogurt first thing in the morning.
(Vegan, Gluten Free)
- 1/2 Cup of White Rice
- 3 Cups of Water
- 1/2 Cup of Korean Rice Culture (Nuruk)
↓ Click & Shop Ingredients ↓Korean Rice Culture Japanese Rice Culture
- Prepare 1:5 rice porridge with rice and water.
- Cool the porridge down to 60°C.
- Mix the rice culture in and stir well.
- Ferment the mixture at 30°C to 60°C for 8~10 hours.
- Stir well again, that’s it!
- Store in air tight container in the refrigerator. Finish it in a few days recommended.