Amazake, the ancient Japanese fermented rice drink, is one of the top super fermented foods out there. As it’s called Amazake in Japanese, meaning sweet sake, makes you think it is an alcoholic drink but it usually not. An alcoholic version does exist in deed, and the method is a little different from the one I make.
How’s the taste like? It’s really really sweet like a condensed syrup. If you make it light and watery, not so sweet, it gets slightly sour and sparkly. (Picture above) It’s a rice yogurt in a way.
You can make it thick curd texture (picture below) to use it for your cooking as a sweeter, mix into your smoothies, or just add water to drink. In the cold season, heat it up like a hot milk, in the summer time, add ice cubes.
Amazake does so much of good things to your body, especially works really well on your digestive systems. Yes, the basic for your clean beautiful skin! As it’s made with white rice, it’s pretty filling even it’s a drink. For those of you like performing fasting once in a while to cleanse your system, this is the perfect drink. This can be used instead of water, you get less hungry and maintain your sugar level safe.
(Vegan, Gluten Free)
- White Rice Porridge
- Japanese Rice Culture (Kome Kouji)
- Prepare rice porridge. If you prefer curd like texture, make porridge thicker rice 1:water 3 , if for smooth drink, rice1: water 7.
- Cool the porridge down to 65°C.
- Mix the rice culture (about 20% of the whole rice porridge amount) in and stir well.
- Ferment the mixture at 60°C for 10 hours.
- Use blender to smooth.
- Store in air tight container for about a month in the refrigerator.