Are you a tea lover? I am, and I love strong English Breakfast the best. I even love baking with them, that’s how I came up with ideas using apples and lemons together, just like fragrant teas!
As most of my treats are Lacto-ovo and always modified in some ways, so this tart is. The reason is, you may know already, exceeding certain amount of animal fat is no no in my family’s diet. (If you are interested in Animal fat intolerance, visit WoHo! page to know more.) And any treats go to my kids mouth have to be nutritious, likewise many mothers out there.
I’ve been baking years and using hemp seeds is one of my favorites. It gives cakes crustiness which mimics tart texture, and hemp seeds really do boost your energy. I can tell the difference by seeing kids, they in deed say that they get an extra energy back after snacking. It is also important that the snack to be very filling for them to go on afternoon activities.
Apple Lemon Tea Tart Cake
(Lact-Ovo. Free of: Cow Milk/ Butter/ Cream/ Chemically Refined Vegetable Oil)
- 2 Mid-size Apples (soft sweet type) for filling
- 2 Mid-size Apples (crunchy sour type) for topping *Quantities of apples many vary depends on sizes
- 2 ½ Cups of Pastry Flour *Can be Whole Wheat or make it 50/50. This cake doesn’t require fluffiness, so less white flour won’t bother.
- 1 Squeezed Lemon
- ¼ Cup of Rolled Oats
- ¼ Cup of Hemp Seeds
- 3 Tablespoons of English Breakfast Tea (loose leaves)
- 3 Teaspoons of Aluminum Free Baking Powder
- 1 Cup of Organic Naturally Refined Coconut Oil *If oil is completely liquid, place in fridge for a short time.
- ¼ Cup of Vegan Milk of your choice (I use homemade Almond milk)
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 Cup of Raw Cane Sugar
- ¼ Cup of Manuka Honey
- 4 Teaspoons of Cinnamon Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon of Sea Salt
- Peel 2 soft sweet apples and cut into small cubes. Squeeze half of lemon.
- Save ¼ teaspoon of lemon juice on the side.
- Cook apple chunks, rest of lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon in sauté pan till softened. Put on the side.
- Peel crunchy hard apples, cut in eighth, then slice them thinly.
- Soak them in water with ¼ teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Take ½ of lemon out and slice them thinly. Put them on the side. Organic or non-pesticide lemon is ideal but if not available, wash the skin very well before use.
- Pre-heat oven to 165C°.
- Place raw cane sugar and solid coconut oil in a bowl. Whisk well till the mixture turns creamy.
- Whisk eggs (room temperature) in a separate bowl.
- Pour eggs into sugar oil mixture and continue whisking.
- Mix in rolled oats, hemp seeds, cinnamon powder, tea leaves, salt, and cooked apple chunks.
- Pour flour and baking powder into the mixture, add vegan milk to adjust thickness. Depends on type of apples and how you cook them, the level of dough moisture is different. Sometime you don’t need much of mill to add.
- Pour the final mixture #12 in to pan or mold.
- Place apple and lemon slices on top.
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes.
- Make sure the cake is baked thoroughly
- Drizzle manuka honey over the cake when it’s hot.
- Leave it on a rack to cool.