(This article was originally posted in May 2018 on old website.)
One of my boys’ all time favorite vegetable dishes was baked green kales. You know, kale chips were very popular about 10 years ago in U.S., boys toddlers back then were munching homemade kale chips a few times a week. Now we moved to Korea and I don’t see curly green kales but found this purple chidori-red.
If you live in U.S., you don’t see this in grocery stores but you may have recognized it at plant stores, like cabbage flowers often seen in east coast. Tastes similar to green kale, and leaves are much thinner and delicate.
Eating baked chidori-red alone was too bland, so I started matching with other vegetables. This warm salad is great for breakfast, an appetizer, and of course for kids’ lunch box filler! Who loves kale the most?
Chickpea Shitake Chidor-Red Walm Salad
(Vegan/ Free of: Chemically Refined Vegetable Oil/ Sugar)
- 2 Cups of Cooked Chickpeas
- 5 Shitake Mushrooms
- 10 Leaves of Chidori Red Kale
- 1/4 Teaspoons of Cumin Powder
- 1/8 Teaspoons of Coriander Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoons of Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 Teaspoons of Onion Powder
- Sea Salts
- Black Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Cook dried chickpeas accordingly. *Plan ahead as chickpeas require over night soaking.
- Toss cooked chickpeas with cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, onion powder, sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, and extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake them in oven for 15 minutes at 170C°. *Pre-heating not required. Chickpeas are already cooked, baking is just for bringing up flavors from spices and chickpeas.
- Brush off shitake mushrooms and chop them small. *Do not wash shitake mushrooms with water. They observe water very quickly and becomes extremely mushy.
- Wash chidori-red kale and pat dry well, chop them small.
- Toss shitake mushrooms with a pinch of sea salt and a splash of extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake shitake mushrooms for 10 minutes at 170C°.
- Toss chidori-red kale with a pinch of sea salt and a splash of extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake chidori-red kale for 5 minutes at 170C°.
- Toss chickpeas, shitake mushrooms, chidori-red kale all together very lightly.